EcoMend | The Eco-Friendly Oil Absorbent

About EcoMend

EcoMend is a revolutionary oil and hydrocarbon absorbent, made from the highest grade of Sphagnum Peat Moss. Due to the extensive process to produce “activated” peat, EcoMend is a lightweight, easy to handle, superior absorbent that is able to absorb oil at a rate of approximately one pound of product per gallon of spillage. EcoMend is able to achieve these results by using a “wicking” action, best described as a magnetic-like attraction that pulls/draws the oil or hydrocarbon into the empty cell.

EcoMend is hydrophobic – it will float and resist absorption of water for up to 30 days while simultaneously “wicking”, sponging, and encapsulating hydrocarbons floating on water’s surface. Once encapsulated, oil will not normally leach out of  EcoMend to become a threat to the environment. EcoMend holds the oil and catalyzes the natural bio-degradation of oil into harmless byproducts through microbial action over a period of less than one year (you can grow plants out of the used EcoMend).

Unlike our competitors, with EcoMend you can just sweep up the used product and throw it right in the trash! No special hazardous waste disposal needed (dependent on local and state regulations).

With EcoMend you will use less product, absorb more, dispose of less, save labor, and reduce your total cost of clean up and disposal. And, most importantly in the age of environmental consciousness products and sustainability, EcoMend is simply, THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

See How EcoMend
Compares with the Competition

EcoMend vs. Clay Comparison
Oil Spill Clean-up Chart
  • EcoMend
  • Clay
EcoMend vs Clay
EcoMend
Clay
Material Handling Lightweight and easy to handle Heavy and bulky
Absorbancy Superior absorbency - 1lb. picks up 1 gallon of waste Adsorbent rate significantly less than the competition
Oil Encapsulates and wicks oil Oil adheres to outside of clay, can cause leaching
Usage EcoMend is effective on both on land and in water Can only be used on land
Biodegradability Bio-degrades over time Non-biodegradable
Vapor Supression Vapor Suppression N/A
Incineration Incineration rate less than 2% ash residue Incineration rate leaves 98% ash residue
Abrasion Low abrasion - hardness less than 1 Higher abrasion factor of 7
Toxicity 100% organic and non-toxic Contains silica - a known carcinogen
  • EcoMend
  • Clay
Oil Spill Clean Up
EcoMend
Clay
Materials Required, Weight 3.5 bags = 55 lbs. 19.25 bags = 770 lbs.
Cost of Materials 3.5 bags = $126 19.25 bags + $193
55 Gallon Drum Usage 3.5 bags fill 1.2 55-gallon drums 19.25 bags fill 5 55-gallon drums
Drums to Burn 1.2 drums cost $114 to burn 5 drums cost $2,500 to burn
Total Remediation Cost $240 $2,693
EcoMend vs. Clay Comparison
Oil Spill Clean-up Chart
EcoMend vs Clay Chart Image
Oil Spill Clean-up Chart

Learn More About
Bioremediation

The bioremediation services offered by EcoMend are a combination of Biorestoration, Biostimulation, and Bioaugmentation.

Bio-remediation is the act of using natural life (bio) to break down and remediate a contaminated site, surface, or object. Restoring a surface or object to a condition that is no longer hazardous to the environment, is the prime objective of this process.

Using microorganisms and special enhancement solutions to break down hydrocarbon pollutants is the newest and most successful technology being utilized in this process. While there are many different methods accepted, bio-degradation is the preferred system in most cases.

The related system can be categorized as follows:

The degrading or chemical breakdown of a substance or compound that's using living microorganisms.

The restoring of an object or site to a biologically suitable condition similar to its original state by the utilization of natural microorganisms. Nature in itself acts as a built in check and balance system. Within time (years), nature will usually create a defensive mechanism (microbial) to re-establish a natural balance.

The act of physically manipulating a contaminated site to enhance the growth of existing or added microorganisms. Nature in time will populate an area with microorganisms to start a natural remediation process. This process is drastically enhanced during properly engineered bio stimulation.

This is the utilization of specific living forms to enhance or augment the natural processes taking place.